Staying focused is one of the keys to being more productive for yourself and for your business.
For women business leaders, it can seem like there aren’t enough hours in the day. You can’t add hours to the clock, but there are ways to get more done in the time you have.
Small business expert Dr. Susan L. Reid asked 250 women business leaders to name their top productivity boosters. Not surprisingly, many of the answers were about maintaining focus:
- Focus on a single task at a time: According to the women Reid polled, this was the top productivity enhancer: Frequent starts and stops can mean everything gets started but nothing gets finished.
- Don’t spend all day fighting fires: It’s easy to fall into this pattern, but according to Reid, the proper balance is to spend 20% of your time on urgent matters and 80% on important issues. The difference? Important issues move your business forward and drive revenue.
- Break daunting projects up into manageable tasks: Sometimes focusing on large projects can be paralyzing. However, if you break them down into smaller components, you’ll find it easier to tackle.
- Don’t hoard every scrap of paper: It’s important to keep records, but if you hold onto everything that crosses your desk, it can be hard to locate truly important items.
- Love what you do: If you can find a way to make a task creative or personally interesting, it’s easier to focus.
- Match work time to your energy levels: You control your schedule. Take advantage of that by working the hours that suit you.
- Delegate: Don’t get caught up in the minutiae of daily operations. Focus on tasks that truly require your attention. Delegate everything else.
- Get an early start: As women, we tend to be other-focused. Start early so you’ll have uninterrupted time to focus on your tasks.
- Prioritize your to-do list: It’s not enough just to create a to-do list. Put entries in order of importance to maximize effectiveness
- Create your list the night before: Reid recommends compiling your to-do list ahead of time so you can sleep on it.
If you’re looking for ways to boost your productivity, give Reid’s suggestions a try. You can read more Top Ten Ways Women Entrepreneurs Boost Productivity